At the Shanghai Motor Show 2021, an unusual electric car called the IM Airo debuted. This is a new brand of Zhiji Motor, which, in turn, is a joint venture of SAIC corporations, Shanghai Pudong New Area and Alibaba Group. The car attracts attention with its transparent body.
- The IM Airo was designed in the UK. The car is electric, but details about the power plant are not given. The drive type is also unknown. The concept is equipped with the fashionable climate system with HEPA air filtration, which cuts off almost all harmful substances.
- The car has large front and rear windows, a high transparent roof. But the most interesting thing is the doors. They are sliding and also almost entirely made of transparent glass. With this concept, passengers are completely in sight of others.
- The presence of an autopilot is not reported, but it is definitely there. There are no controls in the cabin: steering wheel, pedals, instruments. However, the steering wheel can be seen in one of the published sketches, so it is possible that a manual version for the IM Airo is also being developed.
- The four individual armchairs look like they were taken from a home living room. And they also stand at home, forming a circle of those sitting facing each other. Each seat is equipped with a 360-degree rotation mechanism.
- The authors of the idea have not yet said anything about the prospects for mass production.
- Earlier at the Shanghai Motor Show, the most compact electric convertible, developed by General Motors in conjunction with SAIC, was presented . With a length of 2.9 meters, the Hong Guang Mini EV is equipped with a 27 horsepower electric motor and can travel up to 170 kilometers on a single charge.